Education policy, administration and management; Comparative education; Sociology of education.
Veronica has more than 15 years of experience in conducting research projects related to vocational education and training, school education and adult and community education policy, planning and programs. Her extensive research work has mainly focussed on equity in education across sectors and comparative studies, mainly commissioned by Australian national agencies such as the Australian National Training Authority (ANTA) and the National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER), state education and training authorities and agencies with an international development focus such as AusAID and UNESCO-UNEVOC.
Veronica’s research includes longitudinal studies of the experience of access, participation, outcomes and pathways in VET by members of equity target groups, for ANTA, 1996-1999 and of the outcomes for learners, the workforce and community of study in adult community education in Victoria, for the Adult Community and Further Education (ACFE) Board Victoria, 2005-2006. She has studied vocational education and training provision for people from non-English speaking backgrounds for NCVER in 1998 and 2002 and during 2006, she completed a nationwide study of the impact of TAFE inclusiveness strategies, also for NCVER. Veronica’s policy research projects for state governments include: a study of the effectiveness of funding and accountability arrangements for provision of community based Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning programs for Department of Education and Early Childhood Development, Victoria in 2008; an analysis of factors influencing completion of apprenticeships and traineeships in Victoria, for the Office of Training and Tertiary Education in 2007; research to advise priority setting of the Victorian Adult Community and Further Education Board in 2007; a review of effective provision for young people 15-24 years of age studying in non-school providers in Victoria, for the Department of Education and Training in 2006;
• Deputy Director, Contemporary Europe Research Centre, The University of Melbourne, 2008, 2009
* ALTC citation for outstanding contributions to student learning, 2009
* Teaching award, Melbourne Graduate School of Education, 2009
• Knowledge Transfer Award, Melbourne Graduate School of Education, University of Melbourne, 2007
• Director, Equity Research Centre Board, Victoria 2006, 2007, 2008
• Member, Adult Community and Further Education (ACFE) Board, Victoria, 1998-2003
• RMIT University Research Award, 2002
• RMIT University Teaching Quality Award – Scholarship of Teaching, 2001
• Faculty of Education, Language and Community Services, Teaching Quality Award – Scholarship of Teaching, 2001
• Chair - Northern Metropolitan Regional Council of ACFE 1996-2000.
• National Research and Evaluation Committee (NREC) Research Project Grants: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003.
• Member of Australian Vocational Education and Training Research Association (AVETRA)
• RMIT Internationalisation Grant 1996
• RMIT Technology Innovation Grant 1994
Education and training
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology 2007
University of Melbourne 1993
The University of Queensland 1973
The University of Queensland 1972
Awards and honors
ALTC citation for outstanding contributions to student learning, 2009, Australian Learning and Teaching Council,
As a member of the Master of Education Policy(International) Teaching Team - outstanding achievement in Teaching Award, Melbourne Graduate School of Education,
Inaugural Knowledge Transfer Award, 2007, Melbourne Graduate School of Education, University of Melbourne, Melbourne Graduate School of Education,
RMIT University Teaching Quality Award, Scholarship of Teaching, 2001, RMIT University,
RMIT Faculty of Education, Language and Community Services, Teaching Quality Award, Scholarship of Teaching, 2001, RMIT University,