Dr Isabelle de Solier is a Senior Research Fellow in Social Anthropology in the School of Social and Political Sciences at the University of Melbourne, Australia.
Combining ethnographic research and textual analysis of media, Isabelle's work examines how people use material culture to construct a meaningful sense of self in post-industrial society.
Her research to date has focused on material cultures of food and gardening. She is the author of Food and the Self (2013) and co-editor of Food Cultures (2013). Her current research on gardening is funded by a Discovery Early Career Research Fellowship from the Australian Research Council (2016-2020). In 2018 and 2019, she was a Visiting Scholar in the Department of Nutrition and Food Studies at NYU.
Prior to returning the Melbourne University in 2016, Isabelle was a VU Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Centre for Cultural Diversity and Wellbeing at Victoria University. She has also worked as a researcher and lecturer at Monash University, RMIT, and La Trobe University across programs in anthropology, sociology, cultural studies, media studies and geography. She attained her PhD from the School of Culture and Communication at the University of Melbourne, and her Honours degree from Monash University.
• de Solier, Isabelle. (2013) Food and the Self: Consumption, Production and Material Culture. London and New York: Bloomsbury Academic.
Scholarly Book Chapters
• de Solier, Isabelle (2019) ‘Ethnodelicious: Mediatized Culinary Anthropology and the Mediation of Global Food Cultures', in Jörg Dürrschmidt and York Kautt (eds) Globalized Eating Cultures: Mediation and Mediatization (pp. 203-219). Cham: Palgrave Macmillan.
de Solier, Isabelle (2018) ‘Tasting the Digital: New Food Media’ in Kathleen LeBesco and Peter Naccarato (eds) The Handbook of Food and Popular Culture (pp. 54-65). London and New York: Bloomsbury Academic.
• de Solier, Isabelle. (2008) ‘Foodie Makeovers: Public Service Television and Lifestyle Guidance’ in Gareth Palmer (ed.) Exposing Lifestyle Television: The Big Reveal (pp. 65–81). Aldershot, UK: Ashgate.
Refereed Journal Articles
• de Solier, Isabelle. (2013) ‘Making the Self in a Material World: Food and Moralities of Consumption’, Cultural Studies Review, 19(1).
• de Solier, Isabelle. (2010) ‘Liquid Nitrogen Pistachios: Molecular Gastronomy, elBulli, and Foodies,’ European Journal of Cultural Studies 13 (2): 155–70.
• de Solier, Isabelle. (2005) ‘TV Dinners: Culinary Television, Education and Distinction,’ Continuum 19 (4): 465-481.
Edited Refereed Journals
• de Solier, Isabelle and Duruz, Jean (2013) Food Cultures, Special Issue of Cultural Studies Review, 19 (1).
• de Solier, Isabelle (2014). ‘Speaking with food critic Ruth Reichl’ (podcast), The Conversation, 22 August.
• de Solier, Isabelle (2013). ‘Changing Tastes: Why Foodies are the New Food Critics’, The Conversation, 4 November.
Find out more about Isabelle de Solier's experience
Isabelle de Solier's highlights
Isabelle de Solier's selected work
Displaying the 4 most recent projects by Isabelle de Solier.
Internal Research Grant
Displaying the 9 most recent scholarly works by Isabelle de Solier.
Honours, Awards and Fellowships
Australian Postgraduate Award
Arc Decra Senior Research Fellow
Social And Political Sciences
Horticultural Therapy Association of Victoria
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY
University of Melbourne
BACHELORS OF ARTS (FIRST CLASS HONOURS)
BACHELOR OF ARTS