Current and Previous Positions
• Chair of Arts Education, Melbourne Graduate School of Education, the University of Melbourne
• Director, Melbourne UNESCO Observatory of Arts Education
• Member, UNESCO UNITWIN, international research consortium of arts education research
• Previous Head of School of Early Childhood and Special Needs Education, National Institute of Education, Singapore
• Previous Director of the Centre for Applied Studies in Early Childhood, Queensland University of Technology
• Director of the Australian Music Examination Board
• Past Member of the Music Council of Australia
• Past Board Member of Kids Own Publishing
• Past President of the Queensland Orff Schulwerk Association
• Past President of the Queensland State and Municipal Choir
Advisory Roles to Architectural Builds
• studioFive, Melbourne Graduate School of Education, the University of Melbourne
• Boon Lay Kindergarten, Singapore Ministry of Education
• Integrated Arts Studios, Early Childhood Education, Queensland University of Technology
Musical Performance Groups
• daCamera Singers, gold record winner for the recording of Conquistador with Procol Harum and the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra
• Edmonton Symphonic Choir
• Queensland State and Municipal Choir, with the Queensland Symphony
• Member of five different bands over the years
Selected Publications (books)
• Deans, J., & Wright, S. (2018). Dance-Play and Drawing-Telling as Semiotic Tools for Young Children’s Learning.
London: Routledge Research in Early Childhood Education.
• Wright, S. (Ed.). (2012). Children, Meaning-Making and the Arts (2nd Ed). Frenchs Forest: Pearson Education.
• Wright, S. (2010). Understanding Creativity in Early Childhood: Meaning-Making and Children’s Drawings. UK: SAGE.
• Wright, S. Cohen, L., & Poon, K. (Eds.). (2008). Special Education: Perspectives and Practices. Singapore: Pearson.
• Wright, S. (Ed.). (2003). Children, Meaning-Making and the Arts. Frenchs Forest: Pearson Education.
• Wright, S. (2003). The Arts, Young Children and Learning. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
• Wright, S. (Ed.) (1991). The Arts in Early Childhood. Frenchs Forest: Pearson Education.
• + 100 book chapters, journal articles
Find out more about Susan Wright's experience
Susan Wright's highlights
Susan Wright's selected work
Teaching Application Of Arts Rich Practice: Teaching In And Through The Arts - Wright
Displaying the 2 most recent projects by Susan Wright.
Displaying the 85 most recent scholarly works by Susan Wright.
Interlocutor-child interactions: Supporting children's creativity in graphic-narrative-embodied play
S WRIGHT, WY Lee
Journal article | 2017 | Australasian Journal of Early Childhood
Fostering creativity in children's learning is prioritised in a number of early chldhood education framework documents across the ..
Making visual arts learning visible in a generalist elementary school classroom
S WRIGHT, M Watkins, G Grant
Journal article | 2017 | INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF EDUCATION AND THE ARTS
This article presents the story of one elementary school teacher's shift in art praxis through her involvement in a research proje..
Melbourne Graduate School Of Education
Doctor of Philosophy
The University of Newcastle
Master of Education
University of Alberta
Bachelor of Education
University of Alberta