An Australian case of Streptococcus suis toxic shock syndrome associated with occupational exposure to animal carcasses
Adrian R Tramontana, Maryza Graham, Vincent Sinickas, Narin Bak
Medical Journal of Australia | AUSTRALASIAN MED PUBL CO LTD | Published : 2008
Streptococcus suis is known to cause sporadic infections in people who have occupational exposure to pigs and pig meat. A large outbreak occurred in China in 2005, where there was 62% mortality among those who developed toxic shock syndrome. Despite S. suis being common in pigs, this is the first published report of a human case of S. suis toxic shock syndrome in Australia.