Journal article

Bronchial hyperresponsiveness and obesity in middle age: insights from an Australian cohort

John A Burgess, Melanie C Matheson, Fei Diao, David P Johns, Bircan Erbas, Adrian J Lowe, Lyle C Gurrin, Caroline J Lodge, Paul S Thomas, Stephen Morrison, Bruce R Thompson, Iain Feather, Jennifer L Perret, Michael J Abramson, Graham G Giles, John L Hopper, Shyamali C Dharmage, Eugene H Walters

European Respiratory Journal | EUROPEAN RESPIRATORY SOC JOURNALS LTD | Published : 2017

Abstract

The association between obesity and bronchial hyperresponsiveness (BHR) is incompletely characterised. Using the 2006 follow-up of the Tasmanian Longitudinal Health Study, we measured the association between obesity and BHR and whether it was mediated by small airway closure or modified by asthma and sex of the patient.A methacholine challenge measured BHR. Multivariable logistic regression measured associations between body mass index (BMI) and BHR, adjusting for sex, asthma, smoking, corticosteroid use, family history and lung function. Mediation by airway closure was also measured.Each increase in BMI of 1 kg·m-2 was associated with a 5% increase in the odds of BHR (OR 1.05, 95% CI 1.01-1..

View full abstract

Grants

Funding Acknowledgements

The study was supported by the National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia; Clifford Craig Medical Research Trust, Tasmania; Royal Hobart Hospital Research Foundation; and Asthma Australia. The funding agencies had no direct role in the conduct of the study, the collection, management, statistical analysis, and interpretation of the data, preparation, or approval of the manuscript. J. Burgess is the guarantor of the content of the manuscript, including the data and analysis. Funding information for this article has been deposited with the Crossref Funder Registry.