Journal article

Antiepileptic drugs and foetal malformation: analysis of 20 years of data in a pregnancy register

FJE Vajda, JE Graham, AA Hitchcock, CM Lander, TJ O'Brien, MJ Eadie

SEIZURE-EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF EPILEPSY | W B SAUNDERS CO LTD | Published : 2019

Abstract

PURPOSE: This paper reports additional data supplementing earlier publications based on Australian Pregnancy Register (APR) data. METHOD: Over 20 years, the APR has collected Information on pregnancies in Australian women with epilepsy (WWE), untreated WWE and those taking AEDs for other indications. Contact is by telephone, at set intervals. Treatment is not interfered with. Data are analysed using conventional statistical techniques, confidence interval methods, and logistic regression. RESULTS: By 2018, the APR contained details of 2148 pregnancies. AEDs were taken throughout 1972 of the pregnancies (91.8%). The remaining 176 (8.2%) did not receive AEDs, at least early in pregnancy. There..

View full abstract

Grants

Funding Acknowledgements

We wish to thank professional and lay colleagues who referred patients to the APR, and the APR's Scientific Advisory Board. The Research Ethics Committees of St. Vincent's Hospital, Monash Medical Centre, the Royal Melbourne Hospital and other institutions are thanked for continuing ethics oversight of the APR. Over the years, financial support for the Register has been provided by The Epilepsy Society of Australia, The Royal Melbourne Hospital Neuroscience Foundation, Epilepsy Action, the NHMRC and the pharmaceutical companies Sanofi-Aventis, UCB Pharma, Janssen-Cilag, Novartis, Sci-Gen, Eisai and Genzyme.