Transmission of Sacred Music between Bohemia and Dresden as seen in the Collection of Jan Dismas Zelenka
Sammeln – Musizieren – Forschen. Zur Dresdner höfischen Musik des 18. Jahrhunderts | Sächsische Landesbibliothek — Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek (SLUB) | Published : 2020
This paper addresses the question of how the Bohemian violone player Jan Dismas Zelenka (1679–1745) acquired a substantial collection of sacred music for use in Dresden’s first post-Reformation Catholic church, which was established by August II and dedicated in 1708. Tis royal chapel was housed in the renovated court theatre “Am Taschenberg”, and it was open for public worship. Te collection of sacred music accumulated by Zelenka hints at his ambitious nature because a library such as his would have been a prerequisite for a role of musical responsibility – clearly a position to which he aspired!