Journal article

Upper airway obstruction caused by ingestion of concentrated acetic acid

J Tibballs, R Cathie, M Buist, K Shimizu, K Stokes, J Millar

ANAESTHESIA AND INTENSIVE CARE | AUSTRALIAN SOC ANAESTHETISTS | Published : 2006

Abstract

We report a case of rapidly progressive severe upper airway obstruction in a small child caused by accidental ingestion of 80% acetic acid. Emergency cricothyrotomy was necessary after both endotracheal intubation and bag-valve-mask ventilation were not possible. Although intubation was eventually achieved, a tracheostomy was necessary. Toxin spilled over the anterior chest and abdomen caused third degree skin burns which required grafting. Mild liver dysfunction was observed. Complete recovery occurred.